BEHIND THE JOURNEY
This project came about because of a proposal made by Brother George Van Grieken (of the San Francisco, California, District of the Brothers of the Christian Schools) to Brother Gerard Rummery (World-Renowned Australian Brother) and Brother Roch Dufresne (Director of Video Productions, Cathedral High School, Los Angeles, California) to document and film an introduction to the major historical sites in France associated with the life of St. John Baptist de La Salle, Patron Saint of Teachers and Founder of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools.
“Be satisfied with what you can do, since God is satisfied with it, but do not spare yourself in what you can do with grace; and believe that, provided you want it, you can do more with the grace of God than you think.”
All involved were excited about the idea, and a detailed proposal was drafted for the Brother Visitors of the United States-Toronto Region (RCCB), who subsequently approved the undertaking in December of 2008.
Scouting Lasallian sites in France was accomplished by Br. George and Br. Roch during Easter Week 2009, and filming commenced in July 2009, taking place during ten days in July of 2009.
Post-production became quite the task (as it always does), and the Q&A component required the addition of another DVD. The entire film project was finished in September of 2010, and the accompanying booklet was completed by July, 2011.
Many Brothers and communities throughout France were very generous with their help and hospitality. They illustrate and exemplify the reasons behind, and the value of, a project such as this. Lasallian education and the movement begun by De La Salle continues to be a living witness to the enduring power of what real faith and zeal can do when wedded to the Gospel and to dedicated individuals.
PILGRIMAGE BLOG ENTRIES
Sunday July 12 - Sunday July 26, 2009
- Day 1 - Paris (Sun 12)
- Day 2 - Paris (Mon 13)
- Day 3 - Paris (Wed 15)
- Day 4 & 5: Rouen, Reims, Liesse and Laon (Wed-Thurs 14-16)
- Day 6 - Reims (Fri 17)
- Day 7 - Travel to Parmenie (Sat 18)
- Day 8 - A Relative Day of Rest (Mon 20)
- Day 9 & 10: Grenoble, Parmenie, and Paris (Tues 21)
- Day 11: A Long Day in Rouen (Wed 22)
- Day 12: Paris and Travel to Reims (Thurs 23)
- Day 13: Liesse, Laon and Brouillet (Fri 24)
- Day 14: Reims and Travel to Paris (Sat 25)
- Day 15: The Last Day (Sun 26)
Scouting the Trip
- Paris and Back Home: Thursday, April 23, 2009
- Exploring Rouen: Saturday, April 18, 2009
- Parmenie and Back to Paris: Friday, April 17, 2009
- The Journey to Grenoble: Thursday, April 16, 2009
- Liesse, Laon, and Beyond: Wednesday, April 15, 2009
- Scouting France: Tuesday, April 14, 2009